The World of Llowellen: Play-by-forum & Roll20 Virtual Tabletop.
Native to Eastern Summan the dwarven people are widely thought to be as hardy and tough as the rugged lands where they live. Life on the lofty snow-capped peaks of the Belekov Mountains and within the sculpted and echoing halls beneath have bred a people resilient indeed to the elements. The dwarves live in an almost constant state of warfare with their neighbors (the bugbears above and the derro below) and this has gone a long way toward honing their reputation as fearsome enemies or, preferably, as powerful and loyal allies.
Personality: Dwarves are often viewed as humorless individuals who live among impenetrably tight clans and have little time for strangers or foreigners. In the West, down in the Midden Marches, there is a saying that, “it is easier to make a stone weep than convince a dwarf to smile,” the gnomes will tell you that dwarves are hesitant to laugh and reluctant to trust. In truth though, dwarves simply find a life outdoors very unsettling, they are rarely so dour when cocooned within a familiar world of stone. They take enormous personal pride and satisfaction in creative pursuits such as song and tale telling, hunting, trophy collecting, and in various arts and crafts.
Physical Description: Dwarves are a short and stocky people. Their complexion is often fair although the biting wind of the higher elevations draws a permanent ruddy blush to their cheeks and noses. Eye color is most often dark with browns and greys being the most prominent.
Their hair grows thick and wiry, often straight, and almost exclusively dark brown or black. Women wear their hair long, often to the backs of their knees and bound into a single braid. Men may do likewise, or they may display a variety of styles from shaven heads, to wildly unkempt spikes and tangles, or elaborate topknots and multiple braids.
Men also wear long and thick beards, as often unkempt as braided and well groomed.
Relations: Throughout their history dwarves seem to have almost constantly been at war with the bugbears of the coastal regions and most dwarves harbor a deep distrust and prejudice towards their goblinoid neighbors. The local lycanfey are treated little better, although in some cases trust may be earned through exceptional deeds.
Clan alliances and rivalries constantly alter as their relationships with other cultures ebbs and wanes. Due to their somewhat innate distrust of foreigners, violent clashes are unfortunately common.
Homeland: Dwarves are native to the more mountainous regions of Eastern Summan. They live in subterranean towns and cities that have only a few surface structures visible.
Religion: The Old Faith, particularly the worship of Derdu the Hag, forms the basis of most East Summanian religions.
Female Names (Mountain Dwarf): Anya, Aranka, Katerina, Reka or Tatyana.
Male Names (Mountain Dwarf): Hagga, Janos, Rikard, Sandor or Tiborc.
Female Names (Hill Dwarf): Adela, Jolanta, Justina, Olga or Wanda.
Male Names (Hill Dwarf): Adalbert, Brunon, Green Mamba, Konrad, or Urban.
Dwarf Racial Traits
- Dwarves are a hardy but somewhat dour people. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Constitution and a racial penalty to Charisma.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Dwarf base speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight. Dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against bugbears and lycanfey.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the Giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus too.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
- Dwarves gain a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Stonecunnning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stoneworked traps, new construction (even when disguised to look old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings and the like. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and can also use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit his approximate depth underground as naturally as anyone else can tell which way is up.
- Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat any dwarf weapons otherwise classed as exotic weapons as if they were martial weapons.
- Automatic Languages: Dwursian
- Bonus Languages: Any
- Dwarves gain Knowledge (Dwarf) as a class skill.
- Racial/Evolved Levels: Dwarf
A dwarf can take up to three levels in ‘dwarf’ at any time.
Hit Die: 1d10
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Intelligence bonus) x4
Skill Points at Higher Levels: 2 + Intelligence bonus
“Class” Skills: Appraise (Int), Climb (Str), Craft (any) (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Architecture) (Int), Knowledge (Dwarf) (Int), Knowledge (Runes) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), and Survival (Wis).
Armor Proficiency: A dwarf with levels only in dwarf (no actual class levels) is proficient with light, medium and heavy armor; and with shields.
Craft Expertise: At 1st level dwarves may add their class level as a racial bonus on all Craft checks that are related to stone or metal items.
Improved Stonecunning: At 1st level the dwarven racial bonus to Search checks increases to +4. They may intuit true north whenever underground. They gain a free Search check when within 20 feet (as opposed to 10 feet).
Save Bonus: At 1st level a dwarf’s save bonus against poison increases by +1. At 2nd level a dwarf’s save bonus against poisons, spells and spell-like effects increases by +1.
Weapon Proficiency: A dwarf with levels only in dwarf (no actual class levels) is proficient with all simple and martial weapons.
Improved Darkvision: At 2nd level a dwarf’s darkvision improves to 90 feet.
The Evolved Dwarf
Dwarves who undergo the Unseelie evolution become very resilient individuals indeed. They make take on the appearance of stone as their skin becomes flinty to the touch and grey in appearance and their hair crystalline. They become capable of great feats of stamina and endurance.
Protection from Earth (Su): This ability grants the dwarf damage reduction 12/- against Elemental (earth) attacks. The dwarf is able to ignore the first 12 points of damage from any source. This ability protects against hit point loss only, any other side effects are not affected.
Cartography by Ian Hewitt.